Frequently Asked Questions

How deep are we going to have to go?

Each area is very different and we will need to know the exact location. Even having this information it is diffucult to say how deep your well will need to be in most locations.


How much is my well going to cost?

The cost of a domestic single family well ranges from $4,000 to $30,000. It will depend on the exact depth and how complex the well needs to be to provide you with potable water.


Does your estimate include a pump?

Horsley Drilling, Inc. does not install pumping systems. We will gladly recommend local businesses that provide quality services.


How much is the permitting process? And do you take care of that?

We take care of the permit process. In Idaho a permit is $75 and in Washington it is $200.


How much water do I need?

This will depend on what your plans are with the property. To operate a single family household comfortably you will need 5 gallons per minute. If you plan on having a substantial lawn, garden or a large family using the well then you will need more than that.


Will my well be like my neighbor’s well?

This will depend on the area.


Will my well production change with the seasons and the precipitation levels?

Often times well production changes with the seasons. Precipitation can have an effect on your well’s production but it will depend on the area. Some areas are effected more by the weather.


How much room do you need for your well drilling equipment?

We need a large enough pad to get two large ten wheeled vehicles either side by side or end to end. Our drill rig is similar in size and weight to a large concrete truck. The pad needs to be close to level.


Does the steel casing go all the way to the bottom of the well?

This will depend on the area. We will install steel casing until we encounter an adequate water supply or a material that is hard enough to stay open without the casing. If we encounter a hard material (Granite, Shale, Basalt…etc) before we encounter water, we will then drill into that material and will no longer have to install steel casing. We will continue to drill until we encounter a fractured zone that contains adequate water. Often times we will need to install a PVC Liner in the well to prevent any fractured rocks from falling into the well and damaging the pumping system.


Do I need to have my water tested before I drink it?

It would be a good idea to take a sample of your water to a water quality testing facility. We can recommend a few to you.


What do I do about Iron bacteria in my water?

There are businesses in the area that can help filter the iron and we can point you in the right direction if you are experiencing iron problems.


Do I need a water right?

In the State of Idaho, the standard Domestic Well Drilling Permit, that we acquire for you, allows you to serve one single family, irrigate no more than 1/2 acre and pump no more than 13,000 gallons per day. If you anticipate exceeding any of those stipulations you will need to contact the Idaho Depaprtment of Water Resources and acquire a full Water Right. This process can take up to 60 days. 


Horsley Drilling Inc.

54399 N. Old US Hwy 95 Athol, ID 83801


Office: (208)687-0798


Print | Sitemap
© Zach Horsley

This website was created using IONOS MyWebsite Pesonal.